Selling a home can be tricky, but a panel of seven Northern Illinois RE/MAX brokers recently shared some expert tips on what to do to add market value when it's time to sell.
1. Be fastidious in your budget and don't waste more money on improvements than necessary. Be sure to compare the cost of improvements to the total selling price of the house.
2. Spend a little more on kitchens and bathrooms, which can make the entire house more appealing. Instead of re-doing the whole bathroom or kitchen, however, new cabinet doors or a new sink can do wonders for the rooms' aesthetics.
3. Invest some time in landscaping or improving your current shrubbery, as this makes the house look great even from the road.
4. Brighten up the house where you can. This can mean going a few shades lighter on paint or getting some new light fixtures to illuminate darker parts of the house.
5. Cleaning up your home can go a long way and can make the venue more appealing. It's also one of the cheapest ways to "improve" your property.
6. If you want to invest a little bit of money, update your flooring. Removing old carpets can help your house to look fresh and clean, rather than worn or ragged.
7. Make your private backyard more attractive by adding a deck, patio or even a covered portion.